The Poor Widow’s Offering
Jesus points out a poor widow who drops two coins into the collection box at the Temple. Although many rich people give far more money, Jesus is most impressed with her gift because she generously gives everything she has to live on. Jesus loves givers.
Scripture: Mark 12:41-44; Luke 21:1-4
Songs of the week:
- “Give It Away” (watch or download here)
- “All Creatures of Our God and King” (watch or download here)
- “King Jesus Is All” (watch or download here)
Lesson take-home activity
- Here’s an activity your kid can do throughout the week—over dinner or in the car.
- Downloadable PDF
- Family Together Time: Spend time together collecting things to give away, as a reminder that Jesus loves givers.
- Clean your house. Collect things that you can give away.
- Make a big pile of everything you want to donate.
- Go through the pile and talk about which things are easy to give, and which require more of a sacrifice.
- Talk about why it’s important to Jesus to give generously.
- Take your items to a homeless shelter or other charity.
- Family Discussion
- What would be the hardest thing for you to give away? Why?
Talk-about video: For you to start a conversation with your kid on this week activity…
Digging Into the Life of Jesus. Copyright © Group Publishing, Inc. Permission to reproduce granted for local church use.